THE SKILLING HUB
Discovering and promoting talent and to equip the young people with skills from various fields, including sports, arts, music, computer and games to electrical installation, Masonry, Carpentry, plumbing, welding & metal fabrication, motor mechanics and sewing and tailoring can open doors to employment opportunities and foster their creativity and innovation.
BUSINESS ESSENTIALS COURSE
In our Business essentials course we equip entrepreneurs with knowledge and skills how to start, manage and sustain their own businesses. Our trainings are based on the Alternative’s curriculum model that is based on two primary beliefs:
a. All people deserve the right to thrive economically.
b. All people have the ability to direct their destiny with the proper tools.
Alternativ, through its training, promotes dignity, self-sufficiency, and opportunity. The curriculum supports participants around the globe to think outside the box, connect to local economic opportunities, and take control of their futures. The format, language, topics, and activities continually adapt and improve based on ongoing field research and impact results.
The Business essentials course covers topics like Dream Big, Business Basics, Marketing, Customer Service, Pricing, Comparative Advantage, Record Keeping, Building Business Budgets, Building Household Budgets, Savings for Business, Savings for Household, Ethics, Leadership among others.
You can take part in this program:
- Volunteer as a facilitator.
- Provide a workbook, pens, and calculator for an entrepreneur to attend the training for $20.
- Provide training materials for one training for $100.
- For $55, sponsor a facilitator with meals, accommodation, and transport costs.
- For $100, help an entrepreneur get started with their own small business immediately after the training.
Equipping young men and women with business skills plays a pivotal role in creating prosperity. Our skilling hub provides Carpentry and sewing and tailoring skills, New coming courses include; Computer training, Electrical engineering, plumbing, Metal fabrication, motor mechanics and Music.
The goal is to promote productivity and self-reliance among the youth.
Uganda has one of the youngest populations in the world, with 77% of it’s population under the age of 30 years. The unemployment rate of young people age 18-24 is 80% – (UBOS 2014)
Entrepreneurship training therefore is appreciated as one of the major efforts in personal and community economic development and a way through which livelihood improvements for the majority of people, particularly in developing countries can be enhanced.
Many youth have turned to harmful and undesirable lifestyles (theft, drug abuse, dropping out of school and early pregnancies) which endangers not only themselves but the society at large.
Communities need to be empowered with knowledge and skills to help them improve their lively hoods.
Our aim is to establish a demonstration farm that will provide food for the children at the Home of Hope and at the same time helping community members to learn modern farming skills.
- Training farmers in nutrition and increase awareness of the need for a balanced diet.
- Train farmer group members in improved, sustainable and environmentally friendly farming practices.
- Conduct demonstrations on improved farming techniques & technologies.
- Carry out exchange field visits / study tours.
- Train farmers in harvesting & post-harvest handling, storage & preservation of enough food.
- Build capacity of farmers in value addition and marketing of crops and livestock products.
- Facilitate formation of farmer groups (Associations an Cooperatives) to facilitate access to better markets.
- Conduct research and documentation on Food and Income Security.
- Conduct training workshops based on farmers’ needs.
- Provision of agricultural inputs.
Lack of Capital is one of the common obstacles everywhere in the world, but if we allow it to stop us from pursuing our dreams we will never start. In the efforts of building self sustainability, bringing economic transformation and financial liberty in our community, Hope and Care provides gifts of Startup capital to trained community members to start and manage their own business.
A donation of $100 can help an entrepreneur to get started with their own small business immediately after the training.
“NOTHING CAN DIM THE LIGHT WHICH SHINES FROM WITHIN” – Maya Angelou