“True power is the power to empower others”
"BE THE CHANGE THAT YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD"
– Mahatma Gandhi
Our objective is to improve agriculture and livelihoods among the people in the period (2019 – 2023) through:-
- Training farmers in nutrition and increase awareness of the need for a balanced diet.
- Train farmer group members in improved, sustainable and environmentally friendly farming practices.
- Conduct demonstrations on improved farming techniques & technologies.
- Carry out exchange field visits / study tours.
- Train farmers in harvesting & post-harvest handling, storage & preservation of enough food.
- Build capacity of farmers in value addition and marketing of crops and livestock products.
- Facilitate formation of farmer groups (Associations an Cooperatives) to facilitate access to better markets.
- Conduct research and documentation on Food and Income Security.
- Conduct training workshops based on farmers’ needs.
- Provision of agricultural inputs.
Equipping young men and women with business skills plays a pivotal role in poverty reduction.
The goal is to promote productivity and self-reliance among people.
Uganda has one of the youngest populations in the world, with 77% of it’s population under the age of 30 years. The unemployment rate of young people age 18-24 is 80% – (UBOS 2014)
Entrepreneurship training therefore is appreciated as one of the major efforts in personal and community economic development and a way through which livelihood improvements for the majority of people, particularly in developing countries can be enhanced.
Many youth have turned to harmful and undesirable lifestyles (theft, drug abuse, dropping out of school and early pregnancies) which endangers not only themselves but the society at large.
Communities need to be empowered with knowledge and skills to help them improve their lively hoods.
In our Business essentials program we train locals to become entrepreneurs equipping them with knowledge and skills to start, run and sustain their own businesses. Our trainings are based on the Alternative’s curriculum model that is based on two primary beliefs:
a. All people deserve the right to thrive economically.
b.All people have the ability to direct their destiny with the proper tools.
Entrepreneurs are trained in various skills which include Business Basics, Business Management, Record Keeping, Building Budgets, Savings, Business growth and development among others.
In this program we seek to skill budding entrepreneurs on how to start with what they have to solve a pressing need in their community, capitalize from their solutions and grow.
BUSINESS ESSENTIALS PROGRAM
Businesses in Uganda do not live to celebrate their first birthday
Due to lack of essential business knowledge and skills.
You can take part in this program by:
- Volunteering as a facilitator / trainer
- For $20 sponsor a student to attend the training (workbook, meals, pens, calculator).
- For $100 provide training materials (printing training materials, white board, Visuals etc).
- For $55 cover a facilitator’s meals, accommodation and transport cost.
- For $200 Graduation ceremony, gowns, meals and drinks, cake, etc.
- A donation of $100 can help an entrepreneur to get started with their own small business immediately after the training.
Targeted trained entrepreneurs in Kalonga village, Mubende district Uganda will improved livelihood as well as enhanced resilience. This will be achieved through a combined approach of continuous training and mentor-ship of the targeted trained entrepreneurs in business management and financial literacy, mainly focusing on savings and provision of startup capital in form of quick easy loans.
OVERALL PROJECT OBJECTIVE
To meet the severe needs of the most vulnerable people affected by biting poverty, increased standards to living and high level of unemployment in a way that builds resilience, hence Household self-reliance and economic development in Kalonga village, Mubende district, Uganda.
SPECIFIC PROJECT OBJECTIVE
Specific Objective 1:
Households have increased access to income to help families meet their basic needs.
Specific Objective 2:
Livelihood opportunities are increased for vulnerable households, increasing grass-roots resilience.
“NOTHING CAN DIM THE LIGHT WHICH SHINES FROM WITHIN” – Maya Angelou